William Mokgopo (24) is an international mountain biker originally from Diepsloot. He was recently named Le Coq Sportif’s first SA sports person ambassador. We caught up with him to find out more.
Everything I am today is because I decided to ride a bike. Through cycling, I got to see parts of our country and the rest of the world that wouldn’t have been possible otherwise. Very importantly, it has also enabled me to further my studies”.
In addition to hard work and dedication, William attributes his success to having a solid support system, which he believes to be “most important in an athlete’s life”. In 2014, he was named one of the top 20 most inspirational men in the Men’s Health Magazine. He has also been nominated as a finalist for the Gauteng Sport Awards.
William has a deep affinity for fashion, describing himself as a “street smart person” who likes to “look street with a touch of elegance”. Le Coq Sportif’s wide range of clothing makes it easy for him to find outfits that complement his personal style. He resonates with the way Le Coq Sportif brings sportswear and casual wear together to create an authentic look and feel.
When asked what he’d like to achieve as Le Coq Sportif’s SA ambassador, William expressed his desire to show people that athletes can also be fashionable. “Even though we train hard, race hard and get dirty, that doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate how we look. I’d like to grow with the brand as I see so much potential in it as I see in myself”.
Fast Facts About William Mokgopo
- The Vow is a movie that brings him to tears.
- He’s tried olives but vows to never eat them again.
- His ideal Saturday morning involves a great ride with friends, a good book or time spent with his friends and family.
- His ultimate shower song is “Oops I did it again” by Britney Spears.
- He is happiest when everyone is happy and at peace.
- The best place he has ever ridden in was Rwanda.